Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Twirl - Killer Robot Circus

As I continue to embrace concept art and illustrations I find myself constantly looking at more and more resource materials and creating more and more new brushes. 


This is an image of a spirit wolf hiding in a cave, perhaps wounded by the hunter lurking in the background.


The jump off point for twirl was this image by Frederick Remington. This image demonstrated to me that you do not need harsh edges in order to create shapes or silouettes. The use of colour splotches to blend together all the different shapes that build the image are just amazing. The technique of this image was so inspiring.


Oddly enough my first idea for twirl was to develop the concept as a superhero, however the concept changed while I was testing out new brushes with fellow Graphic Designer, Oz Espinosa.

Twirl was a fun concept to develop, immediately I knew that the circus would be filled with killer robots and the scene would be set at night.








And finally details and colours on the robots as well as some killer blood splatters to really take it over the edge.


2 comments:

  1. I'm still amazed at how quickly you can make these. I was saw you working on another painting and you were like a friggin' blur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what they say,
    Working in digital doesn't make you better, only faster :D

    ReplyDelete