Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Illustration Friday: Return

My latest illustration friday revolved around the word "Return" I had some different ideas from the "enter" key from a computer to zombies jumping out of the ground. However one idea managed to crawl through my head and surpass the norm once again. 





Originally I had thought a Knight battling a dragon the idea didn't feel like it had the same zip as some of my other ideas so I changed the idea to a hydra and the knight to a future cybernetic mercenary of some kind. XD The sketches where done on my computer using Sketchbook Express.

The first sketch featured a hydra with long necks and small heads. The merc has 2 laser swords and is walking bravely into battle. Although I liked this image it however did not have enough dynamic emotion for me to really feel into the image. And it it was scrapped shortly after greyscale painting in photoshop.

The second image I drew featured a large diamond shaped shield and a much larger and angrier (or happier) hydra. This image spoke much louder and flowed fluently during painting in photoshop.





For this image I wanted to add texture and colour into this image since the whole thing was drawn digitally. I did this using layer masks and a textured piece of colour paper. Every layer of colour is a different piece of "coloured paper" with a layer mask. 
After colour and texture where brought into the image. All that was left was to do was darken shadows and bring highlights into the image. Normally I would do this using multiply layers and overlay layers. However this time I incorporated the burn tool with a new texture brush created from a textured canvas image.

The Final...

This makes a pretty boss computer background download it here for your desktop.

1 comment: